Registering In CITI Program
Hebrew SeniorLife (HSL) uses the program called Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) Program for its research training modules. This training is very important to meeting NIH requirements to be eligible for grants and it is also a way for us to commit to consistent research conduct at HSL. The implications of not completing all CITI course requirements may be a withholding of funding to the researchers responsible for the staff and sub-investigators on their studies.
Please follow the instructions below to comply with CITI and Marcus Institute requirements. You may also view more detailed instructions for accessing CITI course in the following link: Accessing CITI Course Detailed Instructions (PDF)
If you have not yet registered to take CITI courses:
- Enter https://www.citiprogram.org into a web browser
- Click on the ‘Register’ link
- Write in ‘Hebrew SeniorLife’ where it asks to select your organizational affiliation
- Click the box to confirm that you are affiliated with Hebrew SeniorLife
- Click ‘continue to create a username and password’
- Follow the remaining prompts to create your login and password
- Once you complete the above 6 steps, you will be prompted to select courses
- Once you have completed the courses and receive a certificate, please send each required course Completion Certificate to: IRB@hsl.harvard.edu. Instructions are provided below.
- To Note: If you have met any of the requirements through completion of a course through another institution, please send the “Completion Certificate” to the mailbox: IRB@hsl.harvard.edu
When you have registered, you may take the required courses. Please see checklist on page 3 of this document for a list of ALL courses research personnel are required to enroll in and complete. Research personnel includes HSL faculty, research staff and Post-Docs/Fellows.
Selecting Your Courses
- When you log-in to CITI, go to the “My Courses” tab. This page will display your Active Courses and Courses Ready to Begin if you are already registered to any.
- Under Institutional Courses, select View Courses for Hebrew Senior Life. Scroll down to the Learner Tools for Hebrew Senior Life box and click Add a Course.
- Question 1 will ask you to select to be enrolled in the required courses for HSL. Please select Required Courses and click Next.
- Question 2 will offer you to take some optional courses that may be of interest or required by your study sponsor. Some external sponsors may expect that you complete a specific course from CITI that focuses on Good Clinical Practice that is different from HSL’s requirements for Good Clinical Practice (Biomedical & Social/Behavioral). Therefore, we have made the following Good Clinical Practice courses available to you as options so that you can meet possible sponsor requirements as well.
- Start taking the Trainings! You should now be enrolled in all of the required courses. Please refer to the checklist on the following page for a full list of all HSL required courses. If any of the courses have already been completed, they will appear at the end as “Completed Courses” in the My Courses tab. Please see instructions for obtaining your certificates below.
HSL REQUIRED CITI TRAININGS CHECKLIST
Human Subjects Protection (HSP) Courses:
- Biomedical Research - Basic/Refresher
- Social & Behavioral Research - Basic/Refresher
Good Clinical Practice (GCP) Courses:
- GCP - Social and Behavioral Research Best Practices for Clinical Research Basic/Refresher
- Good Clinical Practice Course (US FDA focus)
Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) Courses:
- Biomedical Responsible Conduct of Research
- Social and Behavioral Responsible Conduct of Research
Conflict of Interest (COI) Course:
Additional Required Courses:
- Protocol Registration and Results Summary Disclosure in ClinicalTrials.gov
- Undue Foreign Influence: Risks Mitigations – Stage 1/Basic Course
- HSL Learners (IPS)
- Export Compliance
OTHER TRAININGS YOU MAY NEED IF REQUIRED BY SPONSOR OR APPLICABLE TO YOUR RESEARCH
- GCP for Clinical Investigations of Drugs and Biologics (ICH Focus)
- GCP for Clinical Investigations of Devices
- Shipping and Transport of Regulated Biological Materials (New Course Now Available!)
Each CITI training certificate expires in 3 years. It is your responsibility as research staff to keep track of your CITI training expiration dates, complete re-trainings or refresher courses, and send your Completion Certificates to IRB@hsl.harvard.edu on time.
Accessing Your Completion Certificates
- After you complete your courses, go to your My Courses tab, scroll down to your Completed Courses and click View – Print –Share Record.
- Then, under Completion Certificate, click View / Print.
- Please download each required certificate as an individual PDF and email to IRB@hsl.harvard.edu. We recommend sending all required certificate PDFs in a single email to IRB but please DO NOT combine certificates into one large PDF as this creates extra processing time.
- Please name each PDF file with your last name followed by an abbreviated/short name of course.
- No need to zip folders – the certificates are small enough to send all 11 in one email.